Remember the three important signs to identify a potential gas leak –
- Look – for dirt blowing into the air, persistent bubbling in standing water or discolored or dead vegetation around the pipeline area.
- Listen – for any unusual hissing or roaring sound.
- Smell – an odor that smells like rotten eggs.
If you notice any of these signs:
- Evacuate from the area immediately.
- DO NOT use anything that may cause a spark including lighters, matches, cigarettes, telephones (including cellular), flashlights and any motorized equipment.
- Do not attempt to operate pipeline valves.
- Once away from the area, call 911 followed by SJG’s 24-hour gas leak hotline at 1-800-582-7060.
- Stay away from the area until declared safe by SJG and/or fire officials.